Website University of Richmond
Boiler Plant Operator – REACT – 500569
Responsible to operate and help maintain all boiler plant and auxiliary equipment on campus and their related systems and provide after-hours emergency service to campus constituents of the University of Richmond.
- Operate and maintain varied boiler plant equipment and systems including boilers, pumps, fans, generators, controls, valves, instruments, traps, and electrical starters and circuits, etc.
- Provide after-hours emergency service to campus community.
- Communicate properly with campus community and Facilities staff to initiate or complete necessary work.
- Communicate with supervisor and mechanic the status of boiler plant equipment and repairs needed.
- Coordinate with supervisor and mechanic to perform preventive and planned maintenance.
- Coordinate work with other trades as necessary.
- Cover open shifts for operators or REACT as necessary.
- Work safely in varied conditions including confined spaces and hot locations.
- All Facilities employees are expected to exercise behavior in accordance with University policies as well as with the Facilities Mission and statement of Core Values.
- All Facilities employees are expected to comply with safety standards and demonstrate safe work habits.
- Primary hours are from 6PM to 6AM when working
- Subject to being called back for emergency service after normal hours
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Physically capable of working as a boiler plant operator including lifting heavy parts (50lbs) or working in hot environments. (up to 120F for short periods of time)
- Working knowledge of the varied boiler and auxiliary equipment.
- Ability to become certified as an operator by UR evaluation within 90 days of start date.
- Ability to read and understand schematic diagrams and service manuals.
- Working knowledge of OSHA regulations pertaining to work performed.
- Basic electricity.
- Basic chemistry.
- Ability to use tools, electrical meters, and equipment correctly and safely.
- Exercise behavior in accordance with University and Facilities guidelines, policies, procedures, mission and shared values.
- Display professional manner and appearance at all times.
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair problems.
- Communicate clearly and professionally to all necessary key interfaces information pertaining to quality completion of work.
- Ability to use specialty and heavy equipment.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Required: Must have a valid Driver’s License and be able to produce a driving record with a minimum of 3 years of driving history in good standing
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of High school education.
- Technical training in similar trade desirable
- Work history indicating successful outcomes in same or similar field
- Full-time, non-exempt position
- 6pm – 6am (night shift). This position works 12 hour night shifts (alternating – 3on/ 2off – 2on/ 3off); 40 hrs./week
- All Facilities employees are designated as essential personnel and are subject to work outside the normal work schedule on an emergency basis and are also subject to planned overtime work as required by the immediate supervisor.
Pay Grade 5 (Hiring Range $18.24 to $24.17)
The University of Richmond requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. The University allows exemptions to this requirement for religious, medical and strong personal conviction reasons. All newly hired employees must report their status within the first two weeks of employment.
At the University of Richmond, we’re creative, inclusive, and determined. We’re Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond ( www.richmond.edu ) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There’s only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE
Compensation type: Hourly
To apply for this job please visit www.jobs2careers.com.