Website UT Health
Location: Texas Medical Center: Houston, TX
Position Type: Full Time/ M-F
Reviews, determines accuracy of and applies the correct coding conventions to patient charge encounters, procedural and surgical services, as defined through physician documentation, regulatory agencies and various third-party payers. Provides departmental specialty-specific education related to physician coding/compliance, non-physician practitioner coding/compliance and appropriate coding conventions for individual physicians, residents and to collective groups within the department.
Position Key Accountabilities:
1. Assists with training of staff while performing routine correct coding applications utilizing ICD-9-CM, CPT-4, and HCPCS codes required for the patient charge encounters when reviewing physician generated codes, ensuring compliance with regulatory agencies, correct coding initiatives and regulatory guidelines for clinical documentation.
2. Identifies and reports correct code selection from physician documentation, to include, but not be limited to; chart notes, abstracting from medical records documentation, medical diagnostic and/or interventional reports, ensuring compliant coding selections are reported within assigned department.
3. Reviews and reports all denials related to coding, by report, assigning and indicating reason codes for coding denials.
4. Assists in the delivery of appropriate specialty specific coding education for providers within their respective departments, including, but not limited to teaching physician guidelines for documentation, as requested.
5. Identifies provider specific educational needs relative to professional coding and documentation.
6. Meets with providers/residents to provide focused educational reviews to enhance compliance, as directed by supervisor.
7. Attends and participates in all coding related educational activities, as directed by the Department of Billing and Compliance Coordination and disseminates applicable information to departmental physicians/residents, and staff within the department.
8. Act as a resource in the clinic setting for providers, practitioners, for queries related to coding convention and compliance questions.
9. Other duties as assigned.
* Certified Professional Coder (CPC) by the American Academy of Professional Coders or
* Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCS-P) by the American Health Information Management Association or
* Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)/ Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) by the American Health Information Management Association.
*Must complete certification within 12 months of employment at UTHSC-H. Monitoring of certification is department’s responsibility.
High School diploma or equivalent
Four years of related experience.
May substitute required experience with equivalent years of education beyond the minimum education requirement.
Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds frequently and/or a negligible amount constantly to move objects.
This job class may contain positions that are security sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of Texas Education Code 51.215
If you are looking for a great healthcare career in Houston, visit !
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth)
Established in 1972 byThe University of Texas System Board of Regents, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) is Houston’s Health University and Texas’ resource for health care education, innovation, scientific discovery and excellence in patient care. The most comprehensive academic health center inthe UT Systemand the U.S. Gulf Coast region, UTHealth is home to schools ofbiomedical informatics,biomedical sciences,dentistry,nursingandpublic healthand theJohn P. and Kathrine G. McGovern Medical School. UTHealth includesThe University of Texas Harris County Psychiatric Center, as well as the growing clinical practicesUT Physicians,UT DentistsandUT Health Services. The university’s primary teaching hospitals areMemorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center,Children’s Memorial Hermann HospitalandHarris Health Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital.
UTHealth offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. For more information on our benefits programs please refer to the UTHealth Office of Benefits Website.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
UTHealth is committed to providing equal opportunity in all employment-related activities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law or university policy. Reasonable accommodation, based on disability or religious observances, will be considered in accordance with applicable law and UTHealth policy. The University maintains affirmative action programs with respect to women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and eligible veterans in accordance with applicable law.
Associated topics: addict, behavior scientist, clinical psychiatrist, dayrehab, neuroscience, psych, psychology, psychotherapist, social behavior, social worker
To apply for this job please visit www.jobs2careers.com.