ABOUT THE ROLE:
As a Chef Operator, you will work with a team that is driven by culinary excellence, and lead them to new skills in our scratch-based kitchen. You are a dynamic leader who loves to train, mentor, and develop your teams into future leaders by teaching them new skills everyday and showing up as your best self. You re an achiever who has a strong sense for operations and is driven by results. In our operation centered around innovation, you are always looking at business from a strategic, and systematic lens to set you and your team up for success.
Staying organized while managing logistics and thinking big picture in a fast paced environment is key to your role as Chef Operator. We are constantly evolving our menu and testing new initiatives to improve our business operations. You will effectively manage, delegate and multitask to ensure your team is well equipped to handle any new challenge. You will clearly communicate and uphold culinary standards, roll out new projects/initiatives, and keep up with all Covid/DOH guidelines, all while inspiring your team to work towards a better food future. You are responsible for managing the entire restaurant operation and maintaining oversight over all front of house and back of house ops.
ABOUT THE TEAM:
Our Restaurants run using a traditional brigade system. As the Chef Operator, you are the first in command and have a true sense of ownership over your restaurant. You partner directly with the Chef de Cuisine to drive success and report into the Field Leadership Team. You work collaboratively with the other restaurant leaders to ensure the restaurant team is well trained and organized to provide guests with an experience that goes beyond a great meal. DIG is determined to rebuild the food system, and we couldn’t do it without you.
- Be responsible for the entire restaurant operation, including PnL responsibilities such as food cost management, labor efficiency, guest experience and building top-line sales.
- Handle daily scheduling and P&L responsibility- accountability for all food and labor costs.
- Collaborate with the CDC on QA processes and convert guest feedback into actionable insights for the team.
- Manage new initiatives and scheduled launches within the restaurant while instilling an entrepreneurial spirit in your team to keep them excited and engaged.
- Monitor the operational flow of the restaurant, ensuring culinary, Covid and DOH standards and protocols are being followed and executed.
- Manage all problems with technology, systems and/or offsite ordering platforms. You are proactive in troubleshooting and can handle all the moving pieces with ease.
- Complete reporting and documentation functions in order to provide consistent information and feedback to our leadership team.
- Be the face of hospitality by both interacting with guests and delivery drivers to provide exceptional service and training up concierge roles in the restaurant to do the same.
- Achieve and maintain Department of Health Standards, holding your team accountable and role-modeling cleanliness from your tactics organizing the kitchen and all stations.
- Ensure that all employee relations conversations are properly documented and communicated to HR, including performance and GROW model conversations.
- Manage recruitment needs for your restaurant by proactively interviewing, hiring and onboarding new culinarians.
- Review & collaborate on people development plans with the Field Leadership team to build thoughtful succession plans.
- Conduct Pre-shifts & Chef s tables with your restaurant team to keep them informed on updates and new restaurant goals.
- Communicate verbally and digitally on a daily basis across various systemic and organizational platforms such as GoogleDrive, Deputy, Slack, Wrike, Revel, Paycom, etc in a timely manner.
- Strictly uphold Dig’s anti-discrimination and anti-harassment policies.
- 3 – 5 years minimum kitchen or operational restaurant management experience.
- A passion for real, good food and the leadership skills to operate a scratched base, every changing kitchen.
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in whenever and wherever necessary.
- The demonstrated skills to motivate and develop a high performing team.
- The discipline and desire to create systems and organization within fast changing environments.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong computer skills. You can navigate multiple digital ordering systems with ease.
- Ability to learn technological platforms and work systematically with them.
- Familiarity with restaurant costing and inventory software.
- An eye for detail.
- The ability to perform physical requirements of the position (the ability to frequently lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds). These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
- The desire for professional improvement and the process of learning.
- The drive to network and build strong ties in your restaurant s community.
- The ability to take many variables to find the best solution to a problem.
- An organized approach to achieving team goals.
- Proven tactics to successful operations in an evolving environment.
- Your Department of Health and/or ServSafe certification.
WORK PERKS: Aside from your the standard job description fare (competitive salary, medical, dental, vision) we also offer:
- Phone reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Complimentary DIG meals everyday
At Dig Food Group, we re building a better food system for everyone by sourcing, cooking and serving delicious food everyday. Nine years in, we ve grown to more than 30 fast-casual Dig restaurants, opened our first full-service restaurant, 232 Bleecker, partnered with 130 farms including our own Dig Acres, and taught thousands of people how to cook (really cook) in our kitchens.
To do this, we ve built direct and real relationships with farmers. We don t just name check them on our menus — we re true partners in their businesses. We focus on farmers who are independent, first-timers, women, immigrants, LGBTQ and people of color. These relationships allow us to get the best ingredients all year round and change our menu based on what is growing in the fields.
Each restaurant is run by a chef and all our food is cooked on site. There are no microwaves, can openers or freezers, just an entire culinary team at every location, cooking vegetables all day. This requires training a whole generation of chefs and cooks from the ground up, including many who have never worked in a restaurant before. Knife skills are life skills.
We re not here to disrupt anything or become a platform. We run our business on good food and great people. From sourcing to serving, our mission is to create a better food system for everyone. That means a world where farmers can make a living growing food, anyone can learn to cook, and we can all eat well, together.
DIG believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply
Associated topics: chief chef, commercial kitchen, executive chef, kitchen, pastry chef, restaurant assistant chef, salad chef, sous chef, sushi chef, tavern
To apply for this job please visit www.jobs2careers.com.