- Prepares menu items for patients on general and modified diets and for cafeteria and satellite food service customers.
- Inspects and tastes food for palatability and correct temperature.
- Cleans up in preparation for the next meal.
- Keeps records of quantities produced and used in accordance with established procedures.
- Measures and weighs ingredients.
- Follows all safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Uses required protection devices to prevent transmission of food borne illnesses to patients, customers, and staff.
- Reports safety hazards.
- Cleans, sanitizes and organizes the work area.
- Wipes up spills and food debris and disposes of empty containers.
- Removes pots and pans to cleaning area.
- Prescrapes and soaks pans with burned or dried food.
- May wash pots and pans as requested.
- Adheres to county, state, and federal regulatory agency requirements.
- Prepares and cooks all menu items using solid, efficient cooking and culinary fundamentals.
- Follows recipes, measuring and mixing as specified, to prepare hot and cold menu items in specified quantities.
- Presents and displays food using artistic creativity and garnishes.
- May setup and transport food items for patient tray assembly line, cafeteria, retail, satellite, or special events.
- May serve or carve food.
- Returns unused ingredients and non-food supplies to designated storage area; reviews leftover food to determine appropriate storage and/or use and labels and dates all food.
- Inspects and tastes prepared food for palatability and appropriate temperature.
- Quickly and efficiently communicates concerns or problems to other team members and supervisors as appropriate.
- Uses FIFO method of food storage/preparation.
- Operates large and small institutional cooking equipment including convection ovens, broilers, deep fat fryers, pressure fryers, and steam jacketed kettles.
- Cleans equipment and performs preventative maintenance as recommended by manufacturer.
- Requisitions and maintains food and supplies from store room according to policies and procedures.
- Verifies that issues from storage area meet recipes requirements and established specifications.
- Reports unusual movement of food and supplies.
- Use a computer to enter and access recipes and menus.
- Records various statistics on activities such as food temperatures, refrigerator/freezer temperatures, meal tallies, and inventory.
- Works with Manager to formulate plan for professional development.
- Attends educational in-services as appropriate.
- Participates in professional activities and organizations to maintain knowledge of current trends, practices and developments.
- Communicates new ideas to the Chef or Manager.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- A high school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Must be able to read, write, and follow instructions.
- Two years of institutional food preparation or cooking experience OR completion of a two year culinary degree/certification.
- The ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (Medium): 20-50 lbs; 0-33% of the work day (occasionally); 11-25 lbs, 34-66% of the workday (frequently); 01-10 lbs, 67-100% of the workday (constantly); Lifting 50 lbs max; Carrying of objects up to 25 lbs; Occasional to frequent standing & walking, Occasional sitting, Close eye work (computers, typing, reading, writing), Physical demands may vary depending on assigned work area and work tasks.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS: Factors affecting environment conditions may vary depending on the assigned work area and tasks. Environmental exposures include, but are not limited to: Blood-borne pathogen exposure Bio-hazardous waste Chemicals/gases/fumes/vapors Communicable diseases Electrical shock, Floor Surfaces, Hot/Cold Temperatures, Indoor/Outdoor conditions, Latex, Lighting, Patient care/handling injuries, Radiation, Shift work, Travel may be required. Use of personal protective equipment, including respirators, environmental conditions may vary depending on assigned work area and work tasks.
Associated topics: cocinera, cocinero de la preparacion, complimentary, diner, dinner, maker, meat cutter, restaurant assistant cook, sandwich, stove
To apply for this job please visit www.jobs2careers.com.