Are you a storyteller at heart? Are you passionate about hyper local journalism, community involvement and spectacular, innovative storytelling delivered by a news organization dedicated to the truth? Are you a journalist who wants to tell meaningful stories that will make a difference in our viewers lives? If so, you may be the perfect candidate for the newly launched position of Digital Journalist at Spectrum Networks.
Spectrum Networks is constantly striving to engage with the local community through meaningful written and visual storytelling. With that foundation in mind, we are launching an innovative mobile news app that will focus on providing our customers hyperlocal content, information and insights about their community throughout the day, wherever they may be. Our Digital Journalists will produce written and video stories for the news app that will redefine local news on a new platform. This pioneering approach will deliver impactful and relevant content to the communities we serve. Our ideal candidate is driven by a passion for storytelling and content.
The Digital Journalist role is responsible for researching, enterprising, developing, writing, editing, and delivering a written presentation of local, compelling, creative and original news stories on deadline. The role will also contribute to special features and stories. The Digital Journalist will create impactful and compelling content for the viewers in our local communities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Pitch and write accurate, well-researched text stories including news of day and feature under tight deadlines
- Cover breaking news with quick, concise analysis
- Collaborate with Spectrum Networks television journalists, both locally and around the country, to provide cross platform story coverage
- Maintain an active social media presence, to promote your original content and the work of your colleagues
- Follow trending topics on digital platforms, including Google, Twitter and Facebook in order to gather story ideas and create headlines that optimize Spectrum Networks reach
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Expertise in social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and emerging social media platforms and digital trends
- Understanding of SEO
- Exceptional writing skills
- Proficient in AP style
- Strong news judgment
- Well-sourced and able to identify and cultivate new sources
- Demonstrate love of covering local news and community involvement
- Self-motivated, team-oriented and work well under pressure
- Excellent communication skills
- Good visual eye and basic photo editing skills
- Flexibility in covering live events, working late nights and weekends
- Proficient at discerning story lines and analyzing stories
- Familiarity with HTML and/or web-authoring tools and software
- Strong comfort level with video and audio editorial presentation
- Team player who is comfortable working with peers and management
- Must be able to follow Spectrum Networks editorial and social media standards
- Valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the State of residence
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a related communications field preferred
- Three to seven years’ experience in news or editorial environments
- Minimum two (2) years’ digital news experience
Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment! Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant, timely news that’s important to the local communities we serve.
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means You re ready to inspire and be inspired! You re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You’re fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You’re nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24×7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
Associated topics: communication, communication specialist, content, correspondent, headline, investigative, journalism, news, publication, reporter
To apply for this job please visit www.jobs2careers.com.