**Overview (Summary) of Responsibilities:**
Responsible for performing patient-oriented procedures under the direction and supervision of a clinician, RN, or LVN to ensure safe and appropriate patient care; assists the clinician with minor surgical procedures; performs a broad spectrum of clerical and administrative duties related to the delivery of patient care assistance
* Exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate HCP s commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care, and concern with each internal and external customer
* Anticipates the clinician s needs and carries out orders
* Checks Touchworks for patient s arrival status and escorts patients from the waiting area to the exam room; also escorts patients to any ancillary services as needed
* Obtains, records, and reports vital signs and other pertinent patient information for the RN, LVN, or clinician
* Performs procedures such as ear lavage, ECG, spirometry, injections, peak flows, pulse oximetry, breathing treatments, suture removals, wound dressings, vision/hearing tests, urine pregnancy tests, urine dips, blood glucose testing, and blood hemoglobin testing
* Performs phlebotomy and processes lab specimens (e.g., 24 hour urine, wound cultures obtained by clinician, biopsy specimens obtained by clinician) and maintains lab specimen logs as appropriate
* Assists clinicians with various procedures (e.g., pap smears, laceration repairs, other minor surgical procedures) and may assist with more complex department-specific specialty procedures (e.g., vasectomies, cystoscopies, thoracentesis, sigmoidoscopies, bunionectomies, joint aspirations, lance surgery, photo therapy, visual fields, and pachymetry testing); within scope of practice, performs patient-related procedures under the supervision of a clinician, RN manager, RN supervisor, Care Team supervisor, or LVN
* Maintains, cleans, and stocks exam/treatment areas, specimen processing areas, and medical equipment; transports dirty equipment and performs autoclaving and cold sterilization; and maintains autoclave, cidex and A-test logs
* Performs medication administration within scope of practice; documents medication administration and procedures in Touchworks
* Maintains monthly logs for medications and samples, including expired medications; Maintains and follows up on monthly logs such as Preventative Maintenance (PM) dates, EKG tickler file, and Abnormal Pap log
* Instructs patients on lab, radiology, and other procedure/testing preparations
* Participates in visit closure with patient and clinician by explaining next steps for lab, X-ray, RFS, DME, etc.
* Facilitates the transfer of pertinent patient information between the site and referred specialists, hospitals, Urgent Care Centers, and ancillary testing facilities; forwards pre-op information to hospital surgeon
* Handles administrative tasks such as answering and directing phone calls, updating forms and patient information, scheduling procedures, following up on appointments, distributing correspondence, and responding to patient concerns
* Performs other tasks and duties as assigned
* High school diploma, GED or equivalent; includes special certification required for specific jobs
* Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant Program
* Phlebotomy certificate
* Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (AHA) course or CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (American Red Cross) course
* Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be *required* to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained.
*Careers with Optum.* Here’s the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Here you ll find incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do *your life’s best work. (SM)*
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: Optum and its affiliated medical practices are Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Optum and its affiliated medical practices is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Associated topics: laboratory, microbiology, mls, pathology, sample collection, services, surgical technologist, technician iii, technician iv, testing
To apply for this job please visit www.jobs2careers.com.