Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment! Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant, timely news that’s important to the local communities we serve.
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means You re ready to inspire and be inspired! You re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You’re fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You’re nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we re looking for:
Responsible for all aspects of planning upcoming coverage, which includes researching, planning and setting up stories that go to air. Works closely with MMJs to provide research, logistical assistance, and set up interviews for their stories. Supervises the Planning Editors.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Partnering with MMJs on Content Creation
- Plays a key role in supporting MMJs in every aspect of storytelling.
- Finds and vets potential stories.
- Performs research.
- Pre-screens and sets up interviews and or unique video opportunities, including handling all logistical details of the shoots.
- Planning Major Events
- Key leader in coordinating coverage for all major events covered by the station, including debates, town halls, and traveling assignments
- Ensures travel arrangements and logistics, including but not limited to, hotel bookings and reservations for major events
- Harmonizes MMJ schedules for major events
- Supervising Planning Editor
- Supervises Planning Editors duties
- Overlooks planning editor s final note of the day, which goes out to the NC team
- Assists planning editors with contact information and provides guidance on researching stories
- Daily Planning
- Plans daily coverage for the station
- Creates and updates logs for station s coverage
- Runs daily story update meeting with Managing Director, Managing Editors, and Executive Producers
- Sends daily outlook for the station, which lays out the stories that will run the next day.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skill/Abilities and Knowledge
- Solid news judgment and passion for news
- Ability to develop sources
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions; ability to relate well with diverse populations
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Must be able to work under time pressure deadlines, work different or extended shifts and flexible with schedule changes. Willing and able to work weekends and holidays
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor s degree in Journalism or Broadcast Communication or comparable television work experience preferred
- 5-7 Years of Experience in Journalism / television newsroom
- +2 Years in Management
- Works inside a climate controlled environment throughout the year
- Works in an open newsroom setting with a semi-noisy environment
- Communicates in person, by phone and by email
- May be required to lift up to 5 pounds
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24×7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
To apply for this job please visit www.jobs2careers.com.