Website UT Southwestern Medical Center
12 Blue Med/Surg ACE department specializes in acute care in the elderly. Hospitalist patients with complex medical needs. We deliver care using a patient-centered approach with compassion and innovative expertise. We appreciate that communication is a key factor and partner with our patients and family with decision-making
Our unit houses the ACE (Acute Care for the Elderly) unit and is the only ACE unit in the DFW area. We are looking for healthcare professionals who have a passion for geriatrics. Our vision is to treat older adults with what matters to them and their family.
Our staff are inter-professional and work alongside physical therapy, occupational therapy, pharmacy, dietitians, social workers and physicians as a coordinated team.
Experience and Education
- Graduate of an approved/accredited nursing program either by a governmental authority, nursing board, or a licensing authority which has jurisdiction over approval/accreditation of nursing programs (Texas BON 217.1).
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
- One (1) year of RN experience. Specialty areas may have increased experience requirements as dictated by unit or standard of care.
- Current Texas (or BNE Compact State) license, BSN preferred
- Professional certification in a nursing organization is preferred.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, course accredited by the American Heart Association (AHA)
- Performs and accurately documents physical, psychosocial, and emotional assessments. All assessments take into consideration age specific criteria (children, adolescents, adults and elder adults).
- Actively anticipates patient’s and/or patient’s family needs and expectations and utilizes these in conjunction with the assessment to develop an appropriate plan of care for the patient. Utilizes critical thinking skills in planning and prioritizing nursing care. Maintains and utilizes competencies per unit expectation.
- Identifies and implements appropriate nursing interventions based on the completed assessment. Completes accurate and timely documentation of these interventions. Active coordinator of the interdisciplinary plan of care. Confers with all members of the health care team in a collaborative fashion. Shares information & observations of the patient and/or patient’s family in a manner that advocates for optimal patient care.
- Appropriately prioritizes nursing interventions based upon completed assessment. Promptly identifies changes in condition as evidenced by nursing assessment, labs, x-rays, etc. Reports changes, takes follow-up action as appropriate. Actively involves patient, family and/or care-giver informed.
- Evaluates implemented interventions and modifies care according to the evaluation. Documents interventions and modifications to the plan of care in an accurate and timely manner.
- Adheres to appropriate hospital and/or Department of Nursing policies, procedures, clinical pathways and nationally accepted standards of nursing practice. Incorporates ANA standards, into the provision of safe, quality patient care, utilizing current literature, and research. Practices in accordance with our Professional Practice Model – “Relationship Based Care” & delivers care using our Care Delivery System “PACE” – Patient Focused, Accountable, Coordinated and Continuous and Evidence Based.
- Provides appropriate & timely answers and/or education to patients, patient’s families, significant others and/or caregivers. Completes accurate and timely documentation of all education provided including discharge plan of care. Asseses competence, obtains feedback/evaluation of understanding from patient, family, significant others and/or /caregivers. Demonstrates effective communication based on individual patient needs and learning preferences.
- Welcomes and orients patient, family, significant other and/or caregiver to the unit. Encourages patient/family participation in care. Reviews personalized patient plan of care with patient/family every shift. Updates white boards accordingly and sets daily goals with patient input. Explains special diets, tests, procedures and medications in easily understood and appropriate language. Makes hourly rounds on patients and communicates when they will return.
- Advocate for resources and support that enhance patient safety and unit/hospital based initiatives. Participates in evaluating data to guide decisions regarding unit / department budget formulation and implementation.
- Performs Peer Evaluation to provide constructive feedback to peers regarding performance. Holds co-workers accountable for their behavior and compliance with policies and standards. Actively intervenes when patient safety is at risk.
- Performance Improvement: Accountable for patient care and quality/ safety initiatives (EX: patient safety, patient satisfaction, core measures, infection control). Supports efforts to develop and maintain team environment. Participates in multidisciplinary quality and practice improvement teams.
- Shares professional and technical information with colleagues & students. Offers self as a resource as needed to others (Ex: preceptor, charge, mentor, unit expert, lends a hand when needed). Participates in meetings & on committees & represents the dept. & hospital in community outreach.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression
Associated topics: domiciliary, hospice, intensive, intensive care, nurse, psychiatric, recovery, surgery, tcu, transitional
To apply for this job please visit www.jobs2careers.com.