The shift for this position is 11a-11:30p
- Assists surgeons and nurses with patients, equipment preparation, aseptic technique, and surgical procedures in the operating room. Prepares the operating room for surgery by assembling routine supplies, materials, instruments, and equipment; obtains special supplies indicated by physician.
- Set up and operate a variety of specialized instrumentation, manual and powered equipment.
- Follows procedures for pre and post-operative accounting of sharps, sponges and instruments used in the surgical set up.
- Accountable for the care and handling of instruments and equipment.
- Maintains inventory of sterile surgical supplies to ensure immediate availability.
- Operates sterilization equipment for the proper sterilization of surgical instruments.
- Follows established sterilization policy and procedures.
- Assists in evaluating various products, supplies and equipment pertinent to the operating room.
- Assists in the preparation, transportation, and positioning of patients for surgery and provides for the physical comfort, safety and privacy during the intra-operative patient.
- Observes patient for symptoms which may indicate a change in condition; reports significant observations to the appropriate member of the medical team for immediate attention.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of the principles of sterile technique and infection control; practices appropriate procedures to maintain a sterile environment.
- Appropriately cleans surgical instruments and equipment.
- Prepares tissue and other specimens for laboratory analyses.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Successful completion of a surgical technician training program or equivalent job training.
- Certified as a surgical technician or two years of experience in lieu of certification.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification in accordance with the American Heart Association required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (Medium): 20-50 lbs; 0-33% of the work day (occasionally); 11-25 lbs, 34-66% of the workday (frequently); 01-10 lbs, 67-100% of the workday (constantly); Lifting 50 lbs max; Carrying of objects up to 25 lbs; Occasional to frequent standing & walking, Occasional sitting, Close eye work (computers, typing, reading, writing), Physical demands may vary depending on assigned work area and work tasks.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS: Factors affecting environment conditions may vary depending on the assigned work area and tasks. Environmental exposures include, but are not limited to: Blood-borne pathogen exposure Bio-hazardous waste Chemicals/gases/fumes/vapors Communicable diseases Electrical shock , Floor Surfaces, Hot/Cold Temperatures, Indoor/Outdoor conditions, Latex, Lighting, Patient care/handling injuries, Radiation , Shift work, Travel may be required. Use of personal protective equipment, including respirators, environmental conditions may vary depending on assigned work area and work tasks.
Associated topics: medical, medical technologist, mlt, pathology, sample collection, services, surgical technologist, technician i, technician ii, technician iii
To apply for this job please visit www.jobs2careers.com.