You got the job! Now you must get through the “first day.” What should you do to prepare?
- First, relax and smile. You got the job you wanted!
- Organize your clothes and any supplies you will take with you to your job. Find out the dress code in advance.
- Try and keep a normal schedule prior to your first day, eat at the time you usually do and get a good night’s sleep.
- Show up at least 15 minutes early. If this means making the commute prior to your first day to time the drive, do so. This way you know how long it should take to get to work.
- Look around and sum up the work environment. Ask about the hierarchy and who you answer to. Stay relaxed and be prepared.
- Introduce yourself to your co-workers. Show you are friendly and approachable early on. Befriend at least one colleague and let them know you are available to lend a hand.
- Ask questions.
- Do not try “too” hard. You do not want to turn your colleagues off.
- Accept the invitation to have lunch with co-workers if asked.
- Listen and observe. The first few days “listen” and do not show strong opinions. Be friendly, receptive, meet people and smile. Try and remember names.
- Show an interest in everyone and the company. Pay attention to body language.
- Show you have a good work ethic and willing to learn. Have good energy and show an enthusiastic and upbeat attitude.
- Be available to your boss. Pay attention to the rules. You may be given a description of your responsibilities.
- Put your cell phone on silent. You do not want distractions.
- Be yourself and leave your new job with a good attitude.
Featured Job of the day:
Manager, CRM & First Party Data Initiatives
PARAMOUNT Los Angeles, CA